Friday, August 27, 2010

If I were an otter would beavers like me?

This is one of the songs from camp. Yes I know, I've heard it outside of camp too... but really? In my mind it will always be from camp.

He is jealous for me,
(this means he's willing to fight for me- to pursue)

Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath his wind and mercy.
(hurricanes are violent forces of destruction, love like a hurricane though, he loves us with a violent force that cannot be stopped by anything; trees have no defence agaisnt hurricanes, all that they can do is try to stand and endure)

When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
(so all of the junk that's weighting you down drops, you feel light and free- it's an amazing feeling, nothing really matters about the weight, it's dead stuff, you don't need it and aren't concetrating on it)

And I realise just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.
(so think, if you know something *might* hurt you are leery of it, if you know it will hurt- you avoid, if you know something will hurt alot- you avoid and pretend that it doesn't exist; if you needed to protect a friend though, maybe you'd jump in front and take the hurt, but he jump in front and took all the hurt while we spat and laughed and mocked)

Pre-Chorus:
And oh, how He loves us all,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

Chorus 1:
Yeah, He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.
Yeah, He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

Verse 2:
We are His portion and He is our prize,
(the first part I think is a reference to inheritance, the second, well, you know how people enter contests to meet singers and such, he's such a amazing person that he is worth being the person to meet at the end of a contest)

Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
(it's not going to hurt, no I told you so, you'd come back begging to be let in, none of it's there, do you know what grace means?)

If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
(grace is getting something good that we don't deserve, instead of getting bad things to match our bad behavior, it's getting something good- we're all drowning in good things, sent by someone who should be cursing us back)

So Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss,
(best line in a Christian song ever, if something is sloppy, it's rushed, wet kisses are still held as intimate in todays world, heaven is rushing to be intimate with earth, friends are intimate, someone who knows you're thoughts, knows what you might do next, knows how you'll take certain comments, your moods, what you like and don't like; heaven rushes for this)

And the heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain this regrets,
(you notice how earth still is hesitating? looking at the baggage dropped and going, but I carried that, I can't... but heaven's rushing so fast that the I can'ts don't even have time to form, that's how fast it comes)

When I think about, the way…

So I was at church last Sunday. I was looking at the songs that we were singing, and analyzing them as we went along. I found two out of five songs that I didn't cringe at, or only cringed a little. How sad is that? People now look at things, go through the motion of moving their lips, but don't think. I do to. In a theological context some of it didn't even make sense. I couldn't sing the lines, because what was on the screen was out of the box of what is Christianity. Mind you, God doesn't like boxes, tends to burn them when he's put in them, but of the things I know, they didn't make sense. And nobody else seemed to have a problem with this.

Why?

One of the reasons I miss camp already is that the songs we sang there, I could analyze (it's were I remembered my brain can do things like that) the songs, and still agree with them.

Especially when the song makes a reference to sloppy wet kisses.

1 comment:

limburger said...

I really liked this post, the song analysis and everything, but my favorite part was the end. I get the same sort of thing when I listen to modern Christian songs -- sometimes I can't help but think, "Well, okay, it's a nice song, but I don't get how this relates to Christ/etc." Especially when I listen to the more progressive Christian rock. I mean, I guess I have to admire them for branching out, trying to appeal to a larger audience, going out of the box (because, like you said, God doesn't fit into boxes), but at the same time, the result is that I just get confused.

In my mind, what you said about the camp songs is exactly what typifies truly great art -- that you can analyze it deeply, pick it apart with a fine-toothed comb, and still love and agree with it at the end of the day. And I think it's a shame that a lot of stuff doesn't hold up to that sort of analysis today.

Thank you for this post, and the food for thought! *hugs*